Office 365 is a subscription service that includes the most recent version of Office, which currently is Office 2016. It comes with the applications you’re familiar with, like Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, plus extra online storage, ongoing tech support at no extra cost, and more.
It also provides web interfaces for Word, PowerPoint, etc. as well as email – much like Google Apps.
Microsoft have a great article online which explains the differences between Office 365 and Office 2016. Staff and students have access to the Education plan, which includes these features:
- Online versions of Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- File storage and sharing with 1 TB storage per user
- Business-class email, calendar, and contacts with a 50 GB inbox
- Intranet site for your teams with customizable security settings
- Educational digital storytelling to create interactive web-based lessons, assignments, project recaps, newsletters, and more—right from a phone, tablet, or browser
- Work management tools to bring together teams, tasks, files, and conversations
- Personalized search and discovery across Office 365 using the Office Graph
- Corporate video portal for uploading and sharing your corporate videos across the company